Friday, December 12, 2008

Redemption in the inbetween

Do you know any really good stories of redemption? Immediately perhaps your mind goes to the redemption of mankind; Jesus coming, living, dying, and then raising again. That is part of God's redemption story. I suppose in a nutshell (if you can put God, or His redemption story in a "nutshell") that might be it.

But as I read in Exodus these days I am blown away at God's desire for the people of Israel to remember where they've been redeemed from. Chapter after Chapter, trial after trial, "Israel, remember what I've redeemed you from!" They were in bondage in Egypt, and now they're free. They were slaves, and now they're free. God provided for them in their captivity and He continued to in their freedom. Did they complain? Yes. They would say things like "Why did you bring us into the wilderness to die? We would rather be back in Egypt. At least we ate there." WHAT? The people of Israel are requesting to be set back in the chains that God freed them from.

I dare to compare us to them. I don't believe things have changed. God did amazing things to set the Israelites free from Pharaoh and his armies. The parting of the red sea. Providing manna. The plagues. Even in love he sent the plagues so that ALL MEN (the Egyptians too) would know that He is God. After all of that, they still said "we want our chains back". You can't be serious. I split a sea, you walked on the ocean floor, I provided manna - this crazy food from heaven, I made water pour out from a rock, and I began this redemption story as I came to this dude named Moses in a burning bush, and you still don't trust Me?"

Wow. How silly, close minded, and near sighted individuals we can be. "Remember from what I've redeemed you." Friends, my admission is that as God weaves His story of redemption within my life, I get caught up in myself. I lose a thankful heart that should constantly be there if I remembered what He has redeemed me from. He freed me from bondage of sin, guilt, shame. He set me free from a life of death and self distruction. I was walking toward death, and he plucked me up, and put me on the road to life. Narrow as it may be, a road nonetheless. Now I have to walk on it.

What has He brought me to on this road? A life lived for Him; ultimately satisfying; even if it doesn't feel that way sometimes. That is my sin keeping me from experiencing the freedom right? Its me saying "God. I don't know about this. Its getting awfully hard. I kind of liked where I was a month ago." But to keep growing into this freedom, to dig deeper in my relationship wtih God, to truly be redeemed, the road I walk is narrow and hard. Not that many are on it. But oh the life it brings. Beautifully fulfilling even in the midst of suffering. Hopeful? Nothing but.

He is redeeming His people. Please... lets not forget from whence we came. He is a gracious God. He is pouring His love into you through every bite you eat, through ever friendship you have, through every gift you receive. He is telling His story of love. He did it on the cross. Even as I write that new truth hits me to share with you.

He showed His redemptive love through the cross. The cross was the very wrath of God, that we deserve - STILL, taken on by God Himself. If that isn't love, if that isn't redemption, then we have no hope of ever experiencing it. Redemption will never be without suffering. Nor will life. (really life should be the redemption) Redemption will never come without an admission that we were wrong. That we have sinned. And that we are, indeed, in need of it.

May our hearts be humbled, and our mouths rejoice, for He is, was, and will redeem us from ourselves and welcome us home one day into His eternal glorious home. I await that day my friends. But in the mean time, I will abide in the inbetween. I will rejoice in Him. He has not called me home yet, but He has called me here. To abide in God. So many are often on either side of Heaven... caught up here and not wanting to think of it OR caught up in it and not wanting to be here.

But I suggest to my often heaven-longing heart - I will allow Him to pour out His love and write a small chapter of His greater story of redemption, in me, that He is working out through all mankind.

That includes you.

No comments: