Sunday, December 14, 2008

Part 2: Redemption in the Inbetween

I don't believe I've ever written a "part 2" on my blog before. If you're finding this just read the previous post about redemption. I'm sure I will begin to repeat myself, for which I apologize, but I am praying that God gives me the words that He wants me to share here; as I process what redemption looks like in my own life.

Ironically (or not so because of God), today at church we talked about redemption. I'm sure many churches across the US, or perhaps the world, did as well. Why you ask? Because Common Ground has decided to walk through the liturgy of the advent season. Today's verses were found in Isaiah 61, mainly.

So, as I'm sitting there astonished after reading Isaiah 61 and the first thing the pastor says is "You know what this story is? REDEMPTION." Ok Jesus, let the lessons begin. I just re-read Isaiah 61, and tears welled up in my eyes over the story of redemption. So much so that I'm not sure where to begin with the processes as I sat in church.

Lets start at the beginning. Restoration. "Restoration Katie? I thought we were talking about redemption?" We are, but as I sat there and the pastor almost used the two interchangeably I was challenge by the possible integration of the two.

So... I looked them up. Definition time. If you read my blog a lot you know how much I love getting to the definitions. It makes it all the more clear in my heart as I understand what is being said.

#1: Redemption:
  • deliverance; rescue
  • atonement for guilt
  • theology: deliverance from sin, salvation

#2: Restoration:
  • the act of restoring; renewal, revival, or reestablishment.
  • restitution of something taken away or lost
  • a return of something to a former, original, normal, or unimpaired condition
Friends, is the truth of this unveiling itself in your heart?

To me it would seem, (feel free to send me emails and comments about how I'm wrong. I certainly don't stand to be the expert on any subject. I write what I'm learning, and its open for discussion) that redemption is part of the bigger story of restoration. I have heard restoration a lot in the church and in the word. "Restoration of all things" Taking this into our context, not just of the Israelites which I mentioned in the blog post below, or the passage that is going through it in Isaiah 61, but in our lives.

God is the one who is restoring all mankind back until itself. He is returning something former. He is in the process of restitution... something that was lost or stolen. I venture to guess what was lost or stolen was our perfection in Him. Our sin was the thief. His desire is for us to return to the original state of being.

We cannot be restored without redemption. He has delivered us from our sin. He has rescued us from lives filled with it and living in emptiness. He has, and is, redeeming us.

The reason I believe its continual acts of redemption leading to our restoration is because we are not perfect until we go home. Its small victories won, with Jesus. Its us admitting ourselves to be transformed into His likeness. Its the body of Christ committing to participate in His kingdom come on earth.

"Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. " James 1:2-3

Trials suck. Earth can often suck. Joy doesn't mean happiness. But my prayer is that we would "keep the faith". That we would run with perseverance the race marked for us; whatever befall us.

So on this grander story of restoration, through God's redemption in us and around us (through the cross of Christ), we can partake also in His joy. Knowing He is the only One who can bring about healing, redemption, and restoration... let us hold tight to His promises. "I will never leave you nor forsake you." "I am with you always. Even to the end of the age." "I am not slow concerning my promises... but not willing that any should perish." (these might not be direct, but they're in my heart)

Friends, if you're still with me, thank you. I know its this massive "revelation" if you will in my heart, I just hope it translates to someone. One person. Continuing on...

After our suffering, even if it is one trial to the next, God will redeem us, restore us, and put us "back together" in a newer, probably better, version of ourselves. "To grant those who mourn in Zion. Giving them a garland instead of ashes, The oil of gladness instead of mourning, the mantle of praise instead of a spirit of fainting. So they will be called oaks of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that He may be glorified." (Isaiah 61:3)

That is where I started to cry when I re-read it. Those are the promises. That is what he is doing after, and through, each trial. That is what He is doing in all mankind. He is restoring us to be better version of ourselves that we didn't know could come, or exist, unless there was suffering.

It doesn't mean live is easier, or happier, but to grasp how wide and deep is the love of God, to know His promises of Heaven by watching a dearly loved one go there, changes your life. It transforms the way you live, the way you think, the way you breath, the way you live.

In this beautiful body of Christ, I also believe God did not intend to allow our experiences with Him to only be for ourselves, but each other. Here is a nugget of truth expressed in Isaiah and in church today.

"The recipients of redemption then become the administers of it." In God's stories of redemption He uses people, each other. I posted a blog about this Every Good and Perfect Gift", the idea being that it is always God weaving this story, but He might use others to do it.

Be encouraged family. When I was 20 I would not have chosen to lose my big sister at age 21. I would not have picked this road for myself. But I know that it has brought blessings into my life that I would not have otherwise had.

I lost my sister, but I lost her to Jesus. I ache for her. I miss her like crazy. But in the same breath I am SO thankful that God uses tragedy, or suffering, in the lives of others. If I knew what the outcome was, and continues to be, and how God uses it, honestly not sure if I would choose it still. But, that doesn't matter. This is the story being written on my heart. God is using my story of redemption in the lives of others. He is using Sarah's story of redemption in the lives of others. And I know He will use your's too.

Why? For the greater restoration of all things. If you continue to read the rest of Isaiah 61 - you will see how obvious it is that God is using the people He is redeeming, to be a part of other redemption stories in the greater story of Restoration.

The beginning of ALL this, and the foundation of ALL restoration and redemption, is the cross and the resurrection of Jesus Christ. I NEVER want to discount that. It is because of that that I write these words, and know the Lord that I know.

I pray that you find these words encouraging your heart today as you go through what life has dropped on your lap.

Take heart...

Katie

No comments: