Sunday, December 21, 2008

There is more depth in Christmas...

I have been challenged with some thoughts regarding Christmas and I thought it would be good for me to dig deeper into them in this venue.

The first being the idea of saying "Welcome to the world baby Jesus!" My friend was struggling with the idea of saying this knowing the purpose and intent of God coming down in the form of man to suffer, be persecuted, and ultimately killed for His people - us! How can you say lightly "Welcome!" ? I think there are some things to keep in mind in regards to that idea. Absolutely it is with humble gratitude that we thank God for coming to save us from the destruction that we ask for, the wrath we deserve... knowing He offers life apart from that.

God decided long before we began to say "welcome" that He would send His only son, to come, live this life, die for us, and then be raised from the dead. He crafted His plan so that all mankind would have the opportunity to come and know Him. We rejoice with who He is. We hurt because we see our God take on our punishment on the cross. And we rejoice when He is raised from the dead because that is what gives us life.

So he came, he lived, he died, and now lives again.

"...And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever— the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you." (John 14: 15-17)

PRAISE GOD! When I take communion, some times my mind is coherent and alert enough as I come before the throne of God, my creator, my savior, my redeemer, my restorer, my King, I imagine the nails going into Jesus' hands. I picture the blood pouring out of them. I imagine the Father on the throne allowing this to take place so that He would see me not only in Heaven, but living this life for Him.

I imagine my greed nailed on Jesus. I imagine my selfishness pouring from his forehead. I imagine my lust nailing his feet. I weep in raw humility of what my God has done for me. I weep knowing He CHOSE to give me the option at life, and He died so that I may also die to myself.

Three days later my God rose again. He rose so that I may have life. He sent the counselor. He sent the Spirit. He was not just offering life in Heaven, but on earth. Life to the fullest in both places.

"You heard me say, 'I am going away and I am coming back to you.' If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I. I have told you now before it happens, so that when it does happen you will believe. I will not speak with you much longer, for the prince of this world is coming. He has no hold on me, but the world must learn that I love the Father and that I do exactly what my Father has commanded me." (John 14: 28)

That is Jesus speaking to His disciples. The world MUST KNOW. Who is going to tell them? Who is going to communicate the gospel in love to the people who haven't a clue? Its not about the 4 spiritual laws. Jesus loved. Follow His example. He was in relationship. Follow that too. Trust Him.

So when I say "Welcome to the world baby Jesus"... may my heart be rendered humbly and eternally thankful for the sacrifice and choice that God made to save a wretch like me.

Point Number 2 (keeping in mind point number one and even the previous blogs on redemption):

Mary was first told by an angel that she was going to give birth to Jesus. She was engaged, not married. She was a virgin. So obviously there were a lot of questions. She was not afraid to ask the angel...

"How will this be," Mary asked the angel, "since I am a virgin?"

And as angels do, they provide clarity and reassurance of God...

"The angel answered, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God. Even Elizabeth your relative is going to have a child in her old age, and she who was said to be barren is in her sixth month. For nothing is impossible with God."

Any well minded teenager I am sure would have many more questions... wondering what people would think of her, of Joseph, how they would provide for this baby; and so it is with the call of God on our lives so often.

"God seriously? Keeping me in Indiana? How will I do the things I'm passionate about in this state?"

" Um... so Africa... money... language... culture... how God?"

"Sarah has cancer. If she dies Lord, how will I live? How will I breath? How will I go on?"

After each question I ask, He continually answers "Trust Me."

Anyway, so, Mary doesn't ask a second round. The angel affirms her, and puts her in her place, so to speak. "Nothing is impossible with God."

Well ok then. She says..."I am the Lord's servant," Mary answered. "May it be to me as you have said." Then the angel left her."

What was so astounding to me today, was after the revelation from the angel, telling Mary what was about to happen, was her reaction. Its ok to wonder, its ok to ask a question, but sooner rather than later you need to accept that this is God's will. Mary did that so beautifully.

"I am the Lord's servant. May it be as you have said."

Yes its scary. The will of God isn't always easy or predictable, but if He has called you to it, you must trust Him that it is better than what YOU could have conjured up yourself. That, to me my friends, is incredible faith. If you notice it is not just "yes God I'll do what you say", but it is "May it be as you have said." Her desire for her life then became what God's desire is.

May my will conform to what God's will is. May my desire for my life be what God's desire is for it.

"Not my will, but Your's be done."

Jesus said that (to bring back point 1). He chose God's will, and essentially His, to be crucified, taking on the wrath of the world, and to be raised 3 days later and then ascend into Heaven. WOW. So that we, all mankind, might be saved. That is the most beautiful love story of all. That is the greatest unfolding of God's will I've known.

There are so many things to learn. There is so much transformation of my heart that needs to happen. May we be presently aware of the inter workings of the miracle of Jesus' birth, and the characters and stories that God worked together for one pregnancy.

The birth of our savior is something to be trembled.

I pray that this season, these days, we would focus on GOD. Not just the story. Not the days and years that followed, but praising God today, 2008, for how He continues to unfold the story of redemption in our lives.

Joyfully & Humbly His today,
Katie

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This may be one of my favorites yet! ~Manda

Katie (Umbaugh) Aschliman said...

Thanks Manda. Thank you for speaking truth into my life which fuels the fire for blogs.

Tyson Aschliman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tyson Aschliman said...

EXCELLENT post! Thanks for this. On the first point... I'm right with you and your friend on the "Welcome to this world Baby Jesus!" As if this is OUR world so welcome HIM into, in the first place. And you're right-on... it's not like He came to we could tickle Him and say "goochy-goo" and talk baby-talk with Him. (Although I see evidences of this type of faith smattered throughout the Church today.)

And as for the second point... I LOVED this: (quoting you...)

"Its ok to wonder, its ok to ask a question, but sooner rather than later you need to accept that this is God's will. Mary did that so beautifully.

'I am the Lord's servant. May it be as you have said.'

Yes its scary. The will of God isn't always easy or predictable, but if He has called you to it, you must trust Him that it is better than what YOU could have conjured up yourself."


That summarizes, from what I can tell, the essence of a personal faith journey for any believer, when kept within the context of the full knowledge of the cross (which, again, you so beautifully convey in Point #1). Thank you, again, for this.