Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A community lived out

Well - I know this is rare - two blogs in two days, but a "fresh word" was given to me at house church. What would it look like if we lived out the call to be the "church"? To be in community? I know that often we have what we call "community groups", "house churches", "small groups"... but I'm talking about a group of people, who recognize our constant need for the grace of God and of others. I'm talking about a group of people who worship their creator, and out of that, there is a love that transcends understanding which overflows, or gets pointed to, others on earth.

I don't know friends... often times I think we're settling. Out of fear, lack of understanding, or knowledge, we settle for a complacency. We allow ourselves to be in the same place for years - in ourselves and with each other. God is callings us to more. He requests more of us. Some say, "If I could just be Jesus to one person, that is worth it." Lets do it.

Tonight, as we were in our community, I was so blessed to look around the circle and see those who are diligent about "doing life" with me. They don't leave. They stay. The follow up. They pray. They support. Awestruck really, and entirely grateful. Sure this isn't yet lived out in the group setting, but there are some individual relationships that bless me so richly.

So, with that said, reading in Romans 12 - hear this "church":

Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality.

Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.

What does it look like for us to live this out? To be the church. To be "Jesus" to others. It takes intentionality. It takes us being committed to living this out. Just like our relationship with God, is our relationships with others. But I am ready to be a part of a people that is transforms.

So, thank you all for supporting me. I know that many of you didn't mourn as though my Grandpa was your own, but you were there. I know that not everyone could make it to Sarah's "Celebration" but you prayed, called, and sent cards. Lets continue to transform the world, through God's love and grace for one another. I think it begins with surrender. Recognizing that we are NOT able to do this on our own- but God will surely lead us. He is blessing me, even today, with friends who He has brought us together through the leading of His Spirit- by which we are mutually encouraged in the word. Its beautiful.

I'm certainly not anywhere close to "living up" to this- but I know God will transform my heart as I surrender to Him, and He will give me the "ability" to live out these truths that will rock this world for Jesus. One hug at a time.

May we have dreams and visions of who God is and what He is capable of through us - if we would only make ourselves available to Him.

Amen and amen.

Katie

No comments: