Sunday, March 15, 2009

Readying and a Run

Hi there. I know it has been a little bit since I've posted, but as always, God's story and teachings continue on.

First, I want to thank you for reading my blog. Its not that you have to, not that you read every post, but I have received a lot of encouragement in the recent weeks that have lifted my heart and encouraged me to continue to write; and so I will.

Since telling the "world" about Tyson it continues to be a Katie-humbling, God-honoring, story. As I visited his church for the first time I was welcome with love and support. As I live in Indy I continue to meet people who have known and loved Leslie and Tyson, wrap their arms around me and give me encouragement. I've met people who have known us all seperately but can see our stories being intertwined together. Thank you. Thank you for welcoming me, in a sense, into Tyson and TJ's life. It means a great deal to me.

Ok - onto what I've been learning. As you read in my last post on "clouded vision", I wouldn't say that I have a clearer picture of what tomorrow brings, but I have a clearer picture about how to handle it today. Life has certainly been shaking it up a bit. God continues to try and help my heart and mind grasp "ABIDE". Man am I stubborn!

Yesterday I was running, and I haven't been feeling well. I thought it was warmer than it actually was, so a t-shirt and running pants didn't quite cut it. I was running on a trail close to my house and when I reached the 2 mile marker I turned around. I was cold, feeling sick, and I thought "If I book it home, I'll get there sooner and this will all be over with". Generally I like running, but yesterday it took a lot of energy to do it. Soon after my brilliant idea to run faster my shoelace came undone. Having to pause, kneel down, think for a second, and tie my shoe, I slowed down my pace.

My earlier pace was pretty fast, causing me to gag (sorry for the detail), I had a really painful cramp in my right rib, all of which was taking away any pleasure I had during the run just to gain the victory of being home. Then, a spiritual shift happened and God began revealing some serious truth into my heart.

"Enjoy the journey." I'm sure you understand this feeling. I'm a sucker for the "end". There is always something more, something next, something better. But God is giving me joy right where I am. (If I take Him up on it) Beyond just gleaning joy where you are, He is actually preparing you for what is next.

When I went to Kenya, I couldn't have gone the day I decided to go; there was preparation that needed to happen. Prayers to be prayed. Money to raise. Clothes to pack. And just physically and spiritually God was building a temple that could withstand what it was going to face when I got there. He was "readying" me. And so too - when I was running, He was readying me for the Mini Marathon in May, and my night of rest last night.

When I finally slowed down, I enjoyed my run. I got there in a time that I was happy with.

I was relaying my annoyance with not knowing answers to life's "tomorrow" to Tyson, and he questioned me saying "Katie- aren't there always going to be questions?" "Yes" I humbly admitted, and then began to ask myself about enjoying God and all He has for me today; exactly where I am.

To continue the beautiful lessons God is teaching me with "Abide" and "Take joy", we were talking, at church, again in Revelation today. Its been a really good journey for our church to go through together, as we see and learn truth through that book. Well today, toward the end of the sermon (Revelation 19) there was a parallel truth revealed once again for my aching heart.

Another "readying" parable you could draw would be the bride and bridegroom; even the engagement period. Some are longer than others. Others need more time to prepare. Anyway- if you're familiar with word of God, the "church" the body of believers, are indeed Christ's bride. He is our bridegroom; and He is engaged to us. He (as pointed out in today's sermon) has sent His Spirit as a "wedding gift" of sorts, a way to help us prepare. A seal. A commitment to our wedding day. And in Revelation it talks of the war being over.. Babylon falling. And us, God's bride, finally being with our groom.

"Hallelujah!
For our Lord God Almighty reigns.
Let us rejoice and be glad
and give him glory!
For the wedding of the Lamb has come,
and his bride has made herself ready.
Fine linen, bright and clean,
was given her to wear."

So, not only is God wanting me to take joy in today, He is preparing me for something. And He isn't just preparing me for tomorrow, He is preparing me for Himself. I am His bride. So whatever happens, where ever God takes me, I am being prepared to reunite with Him; on our wedding day.

It, life, is about Jesus. As often as my heart and mind try to forget, the Spirit gently calls me back to the place my heart longs to rest. In Him.

I hope this made sense. I hope that your heart is encouraged to know that whatever you are facing, tomorrow might be better... but for sure, your groom, God, is coming back for you. He sent His Spirit to remind us of that, and to help us abide in Him in the mean time.


ps- some pictures below from last week's 4 day trip to Florida. (with the Witzigs)

4 comments:

Tyson Aschliman said...

LOVE this post! Thought of it during my own run today. Mini's only 2 months away!!!

BTW- LOVE the pic of you and Nugget!

Anonymous said...

I was encouraged by your perspective on "cloudy vision/ questions/God'sovereignty"

It is so vital to
Lean Into The Questions

visit more,talk more,share more,be together more, the 2 of you, the 3 of you etc.& the answeres will be so clear as Tyson leads the relationship

Allowing the man to lead- (this isn't always easy whenever we have led independent lives-- I also went to Africa before marrying)

I found this in the women's dev. bible right by 1 Cor. 13

RESTORE
If a man will begin with certainties,he shall end in doubts; but if he will be content to begin with doubts, he shall end on certainties. -Francis Bacon

Anonymous said...

Katie- Thank you for this. These words totally ministered to me today!! I needed to hear this. Love you girl:)-- Sarah King

Anonymous said...

Katie,
It has been so wonderful to have you come to our church here in Chicago, and to begin to understand all that is going on in your heart and Tyson's. I hope that you are continuing to feel welcome. Sometimes, Sunday mornings are a difficult time to get to know people as we all run around our separate directions preparing for the day. But I just wanted to encourage you today that we are happy to have you there, and I know I can speak for many, at least, when I say thank you for having patience with US as we adjust as a church family to the new relationship blessing of you that God has brought to Tyson and TJ. I look forward to getting to know you.

Erin Gilligan