Friday, June 02, 2006

Time is flying...


Oh wow... I realize I am keeping up to date with this blog pretty well! Yeah for me!

Anyway, within the past couple weeks Amanda left for C.A. She received what’s been dubbed the “Adam/Katie Disease”. (Adam being my friend who I met here) It’s pretty much chronic diarrhea! Poor Amanda! She’s been seeing the doctor since she returned & she said they’ve run every test on her imaginable. So if you think about it, just pray for healing!

Yesterday, there was a public holiday here! It was glorious. I “slept in” (till 9), and with my recent membership to Body & Soul (a gym about 200 feet from my house) I went and worked out. It was so nice. Then I finished watching the 10th season of FRIENDS, and met up with Jackie. I hadn’t seen her for SO long & it was such a refreshing time to just catch up. She is such a blessing, and Lord willing next year she’ll visit Indiana in May so you’ll get to meet her!

Last week another intern for Tanari arrived from PA. His name is Jon Sovocool & working mainly with the ROPES program. It’s been great having him here for the simple fact that it makes me extremely thankful for the time I’ve spent here & what I’ve learned so far. It’s amazing how much you can learn by living somewhere for 3 months! But he is a cool guy & will be with Tanari for six months. He upped me by 2 months!

Well… on Wednesday I went to Kibera. (the largest slum in East Africa) I hope to put up a lot of pictures on my yahoo account (http://photos.yahoo.com/ktgirl242). It was a great experience. We met one woman who through Tumaini Medical Clinic [a ministry through Nairobi Chapel & who we were working with] asked Jesus into her heart in 2001. She now works with the clinic & the way she talks is with every breath she is thankful to God. She still lives in Kibera; among the people she ministers to. These were often the type of people I met in Uganda & it was refreshing to see the destitute be more filled with the Lord than I ever have been! It was great. In addition to meeting her, I didn’t know my blood type. So we pretended that I was coming in for service. I paid 60 schillings (about a dollar) and went through the whole process! A finger prick hurts worse than getting your blood drawn! So we saw how they test the blood, and we were in the lab with the doctor to see the different tests. We went into the pharmacy & got to see the different drugs they carry! The prices they have are more than 50% less than other clinics in the slums! If you want to support this amazing ministry I’ll find out more information. Just email me… kumbaugh@gmail.com. God is good & is working through them in a major way!

SO those are the major updates. I sadly have about 40 days left in Kenya. My friend, Adam Delp, arrives next week, June 10th (if you are the first one to tell me why that day is significant in my life, in exchange I’ll bring you a gift from Kenya)! His team will arrive on the 15th, so we’ll get a few days to hang out. Then Lydia arrives June 23rd. We are looking forward to our travels together. If you could pray that we will have the finances to do all the touristy things we hope to do that would be great! Thanks. I know God is good & I’m just thankful she’s at least able to come for three weeks. She’ll leave Kenya on July 11th & I leave on the 12th. So she won’t even be able to hold my hand on the plane while I’m balling… but all will be ok. Perhaps I’ll need that time to allow myself to sob as I leave my family & friends here in Kenya.


With that said, time is flying & I try & make the most of the days here in Kenya. God is so good to me & I’m eternally grateful for this amazing experience. More to come in a couple weeks I’m sure! I hope this finds you all doing well in America, or where ever you are. More soon than I can probably grasp I’ll be home eating a strawberry poppyseed salad from Panera & drinking an IC Carmel & wondering where the time went!

See you,
Katie

Ps- if you can be praying for a job for me & a car that would be great![preferably a wrangler, but I’ll take what I can get] Jolly (my 1994 Camry) is dying fast, and Lydia & I are “sharing” it at the moment. So when I return a job & a car are a definite necessity! PRAY PRAY PRAY! I know God will provide, but it never hurts to have people asking for you too! ASANTE SANA!

No comments: