Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The Last Month...




Well I suppose as time runs thin I should keep my updates frequent. I am living in my last month in Kenya. It seems like just yesterday I was sitting in the Chicago airport, scared half to death, and thinking “what on earth did I get myself into?” But even then God was shown faithful, as I desired an isle seat or a window, and I ended up in the aisle.

He has been faithful for over three months now, and I know He will continue to be the same God He was yesterday, today, & tomorrow. Last week my team (Tanari staff) left for a climb up Mt.Kenya. I opted not to go because my friend was arriving. What can we guess? That God is faithful. Last week I was sick. I actually vomited and literally haven’t done that in years; not only that but that God given woman time of the month arrived the day before they left… I have NO IDEA how I would’ve handled that one. I’m getting better, besides a slight chest cold, which coming from the states is no big deal to me. God is good, amen? He confirmed my choice to stay back. Asante mungu! (Thank you God)

As you well know, my 23rd birthday was this past Saturday. It was lovely. The night before some of my best friends in Kenya (those who weren’t up the mountain), Adam, Craig, & Mark, took me out to what is Adam’s & my favorite restaurant. The Moon Flower. Louis Armstrong (or one who sounds like him) was on stage that night, candles were lit, & rose petals were on the table. It was just so romantic…seeing as though I was with three guys! I can only hope this male influence has been good.

Craig surprised me with a gift Amanda had bought before she left. It was so special to receive that from her. I had Mark order for me, and he ordered a steak. This is something I would never order for myself, but due to his selection I’ve now enjoyed one of the best meals I’ve ever eaten! Anywhere, let alone Kenya. After that we went back to Adam’s place & he played the guitar & sang, sometimes with Craig harmonizing. It was great. We just stayed up and talked and sang; one of the best birthdays I’ve had. It was super relaxed and I enjoyed myself fully.

The next day, my actual birthday, I woke up to pre-written cards by my sister Laura, Lydia, & my friend Leah. Those were fun. Then I went downstairs, and hung out with Jane; our househelp. She taught be how to make one of my favorite Kenyan foods, chapati. Oh it was lovely. As the day went I was worried about how I was getting to the airport to pick up Adam, aka Aj. It ended up he met up with people he knew & I met them in town. Then we went back to my place, and with much excitement I opened the five cards, tons of candy, my favorite shampoo & conditioner, earrings, and my favorite magazine, that my parents all sent with Adam. He had been traveling since Wednesday, and was in desperate need of some rest & a shower. We grabbed a bite & settled him into his short term home.

The rest of the week has been great. He is enjoying his stay with Kaguru, & he’s adapting to the culture well. We’ve hung out a lot with Craig & Adam, so needless to say, when Lydia arrives the girly company will be welcomed with much anticipation. I met up with Sandy & Rob Davis, our hosts from Uganda in 2002. When Lydia arrives, we’ll be visiting them in Jinga again. It was nice seeing them, and catching up on the past 4 years!

As for me, my time is getting low. It’s strange to think in one month’s time I’ll be landing in the United States; to a home I once knew. But I’ll be entering in differently; with new experiences under my belt, a small bit of a new language, & all this has developed me into who I am now, at this moment. My prayer would be that I could look at how I’ve changed, and take what’s good & keep it. I pray that my relationship with God would only get better, and that in the busyness of America I would find my times of rest, peace, and stillness. With my verizon phone, and American area code, anyone can reach me at any time; often this is a plus, but to me it might feel overwhelming. Of course I’m anticipating seeing everyone, to even think about how many there are, even in my immediate family, is stressing. Just my immediate family alone would be a high number of how many I make efforts to hang out with here.

So, with these things in mind, I’m scared, nervous, excited, and over all weirded out and I have no idea how to transition out of Kenya & back into America. If you’ve got any advice let me know!

Until then… Lydia arrives the 23rd; 9 DAYS from today. That’s nuts. And then we’ll begin our travels. I hope you are all well. Thank you for all you do for me; your love, support, & prayers. Keep them up! My great adventure is almost over!!!

Tutaonana,
Kate

ps- Two pictures are from my birthday dinner (one with Mark, & the other with all four of us- Adam, Craig, Mark, & Me) & the other is Adam & myself, at the end of his first day in Kenya!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Katie --

I was just reviewing your site. I spoke to your dad yesterday, and he said you'll be back in the US next week. Have a safe trip and come down to Bloomington soon!

Jim

PS -- Where was the love from a surprise phone call from your co-workers? Was that not blog worthy? :)