Monday, December 31, 2007

Restlessness...

Will there be rest for my heart? I have found lately that I seem to be in a constant state of restlessness. Perhaps its discontentment coming out through restlessness, or is it that I am restless waiting for something to occur?


I ask questions because I don’t have the answers. So if you read those questions thinking “yeah- what are the answers?” I don’t have them for you. I wish I did. I wish I knew why humans, me especially, always seem ready for the next phase. But I wouldn't say this is a life-stage discontentment. I’m fine with being 24, working, single… but more along the lines of in this stage of life, am I doing what I should? Am I missing the still quiet voice of the Savior encouraging me to go in a particular direction – or even scarier – saying “stay”?


I don’t know. To be frank, I have no idea what God wants me to do. Possibly in my restlessness he wants me to rest- in Him; whether that means moving, staying, selling my car, going to other countries, or just being clueless but being ok with that. That could be the issue here. My “need” or really my want to know whats going on and what God will do in the next 6 months. Truthfully I have no clue what is in store, and don’t let me get away with saying I’m ok with it. Because the results are in, I am a discontented human who has a ridiculous want to know everything the God of the Universe does! Wow am I sinful. Thankfully I most assuredly have the Holy Spirit reminding me I am such, and despite my serious state of humanity- God loves me. He doesn’t just love a part of me, He loves me. All of me. And in my sin. That is the most incredible part.


So now, after reading this, you ask yourself, “Why would I need to know everything if I have a trustworthy God at the reigns?” The answer is, I have no idea. I wish I didn’t want to know. I wish I did just trust all the time. If I can trust him with my soul. My eternity. Why I don’t trust Him with tomorrow? Why don’t I think He will give me the desires in my heart? He isn’t out to get me, despite popular thought in my head. He loves me more than I love myself. Thus, He has decided to work out His will in my life. Which after the fact, I’m always thankful I didn’t know- because had I known I probably would have run- but after it all happens, whatever “it” is, I am thankful. And as I heard on Sunday, salvation always comes through suffering. That’s the way it happened for Jesus to purchase our salvation; and I can guarantee our present sufferings are NOTHING compared to His, and compared to what He has gained us through those sufferings.


So yes I am restless. Even at the end of this long flow of thought, I am still restless. I want to do more, go more places, live out passions, desires, hopes, and dreams. But before I get ahead of myself I have to remember, all of it is in vain if Jesus isn’t at the wheel. Amen?!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, at the funeral today Dave said the most amazing and simple thing about Hazel. She was 99 - nearly 100 when she died. He said that she was satisfied with her life. I think he hit me with a skillet in the face when he said that. That really is the point isn't it? To be satisfied with the life that God gives us. Love people, Jesus, and be satisfied. Why is it so unbelievably hard?